Being creative is one thing, but having the power and control to turn your creativity on and off is gift. Here are 6 ways to unleash your creative genius:
1) Try new things. When we learn something new like how to skateboard or play the guitar, we use a different part of our brain. This is a huge part of being creative; having the ability to think outside of the box and in alternative ways.
2) Travel. Change up your surroundings and you’ll automatically begin to see the world in a different way. We can get stuck in a creative rut because we are physically stuck in our offices or the local coffee shop. Go on an adventure and you’re sure to be inspired by all the new sights and sensations.
3) Quantity over quality. Start with one concept and have a brainstorm session where you write or draw anything and everything that comes to your mind in 2 minutes. There are no bad ideas at this point, it’s simply an exercise to get your creative juices flowing.
4) Channel your inner child. When you’re a kid, your imagination runs wild with fun fantasies, fictional characters and wonderful adventures. Unfortunately, as we grow up, we lose this ability to dream out loud. Spend time with the little ones in your life and play pretend. Sometimes it’s good to let go of reality and see where our brains go.
5) Create an inspiration board. With sites like Pinterest and Tumblr, it’s so easy to visualize a concept through gathered images. Besides, we all know that pinning to our “DIY” board is so much fun.
6) Don’t force it. The only rule to being creative is to do what comes naturally to you so don’t try too hard. Being creative should be fun and if you feel like you’re forcing it too much, you’re not being true to yourself.
Share this post if you like being creative!