With sweater weather still upon us, its nice to plop on the couch with your favorite blanket, cozy slippers, and of course…..a hot beverage of your choice. Below are some options of the best “cold day” drinks to create and ENJOY!
Salted Carmel Hot Chocolate: What’s a winter season without a classic cup of HOT COCO?? Don’t forget the mini marshmallows!!! Switch is up from the CLASSIC plain coco, and try Salted Carmel Hot Chocolate
1 cup milk (or water)
3 tbsp hot chocolate mix
1-2 tbsp store bought caramel sauce
pinch of sea salt
1) Heat milk and caramel sauce for 90 seconds
2) Add hot chocolate mix and a pinch of sea salt. Stir until well dissolved.
Cinnamon Dolce Latte: YUM. warm. Latte. Cinnamon. Enough said.
1 cup water
3 3-inch cinnamon sticks
1 cup sucanat (may substitute brown sugar)
8 ounces brewed coffee
1 cup milk (any kind of milk will work: cow, almond, coconut, soy…)
1) For the cinnamon dolce syrup, heat the water and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and stir in sucanat or brow sugar until it dissolves. Cover. Steep for 30 mins. Remove cinnamon sticks. (this can be kept in the fridge to use at any time you can to create your latte)
2) To create your cinnamon dolce latte: heat milk until warm. do not bring to a boil.
3) Divide hot brewed coffee between two mugs, and add 1/2 cup hot milk to each mug. Stir in 3 to 4 tablespoons cinnamon sugar mixture. and ENJOY!
Spiced Apple Cider:
It’s like a hot apple juice party in your mouth.
8 cups apple cider or apple juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 inches stick cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 teaspoon whole cloves
2 3×3/4-inch strips orange peel
Thin orange wedges and/or cinnamon sticks (optional)
1) In a large saucepan combine cider and brown sugar. For spice bag, place cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and the orange peel in center of a double-thick, 6-inch-square of 100% cotton cheesecloth. Bring corners of the cheesecloth together and tie with a clean string. Add spice bag to the saucepan with cider mixture.
2) Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove spice bag and discard. If desired, serve cider in Apple Mugs. If desired, garnish with orange wedges and/or cinnamon sticks.
Vanilla Chia Tea Latte
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1 cup French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
2 and ½ cups white sugar
1 and ½ cups unsweetened instant tea
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon nutmeg
6 oz milk
Pinch of cinnamon for topping, optional
1) Blend all ingredients above (excluding milk) in your Vitamix, coffee bean grinder, or food processor until it becomes a fine powder.
2) You may need to do this in batches, depending on how powerful your blender is.
3) Mix in 2 tablespoons of this mix with 6 oz of hot milk or water and stir until combined.
4) Top with optional cinnamon and drink curled up by the fire!
Warm Spiced Coconut Almond Milk: Bring some exotic flavor to your mug and tell your hotcoco you’ll be back another day.
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder and/or fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon of pure ground vanilla or pure vanilla flavor
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne pepper or chipotle powder
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1) Combine all ingredients in small saucepan.
2) Slowly bring to a simmer, stirring often. Serve warm.