It’s not officially fall until you’ve had your first sip of a pumpkin spice latte, right? Save some bucks (and a few calories) and follow this recipe which, unlike the one from Starbucks, actually has pumpkin in it!
Makes 2 drinks
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more to garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups whole milk
1 to 2 shots espresso, about 1/4 cup
1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped until firm peaks form
Mixer, whisk, or hand blender, to whip cream
Espresso maker or coffee maker
1) Heat the pumpkin and spices: In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the pumpkin with the pumpkin pie spice and a generous helping of black pepper for 2 minutes or until it’s hot and smells cooked. Stir constantly.
2) Stir in the sugar: Add the sugar and stir until the mixture looks like a bubbly thick syrup.
3) Warm the milk: Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract. Warm gently over medium heat, watching carefully to make sure it doesn’t boil over.
4) Blend the milk: Carefully process the milk mixture with a hand blender or in a traditional blender (hold the lid down tightly with a thick wad of towels!) until frothy and blended.
5) Mix the drinks: Make the espresso or coffee and divide between two mugs and add the frothed milk. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, or nutmeg if desired.
(Recipe via the kitchn)
Share this post if you love Pumpkin Spice Lattes!