Instant messages, instant coffee and Instagram. We live in such a fast-paced world that slowing down seems like the last thing on our minds. So here is your official reminder: Slow down! Here are a 6 ways we can all take a break to cherish every single minute and enjoy life:
1. Do less. Funny how although technology is supposed to save us time, it’s actually made us work longer and harder hours. Instead of trying to get everything done at once, prioritize what’s really important, take breaks and let go of the rest.
2. Be present. Thinking about the past and worrying about the future can fog your mind and before you know it, you’re asking yourself, “Where did the time go?”. It takes some practice, but bring yourself into the present moment and be aware of your mind, your body and your surroundings.
3. Disconnect. Leave your phone in the car, at home or better yet schedule a day of the week where you turn it off for the entire day. You’ll start to realize that those few minutes you spend checking e-mails, messages and social media add up to time you should be spending talking with friends, calling your mom or meditating.
4. Focus on people. To give someone your full, undivided attention is the greatest gift you can give. We can be so easily immersed into our own thoughts, technology and the outside world, that we must make an effort to shut out all of those distractions. Listen and connect with people rather than just being in the same room with them.
5. Appreciate nature. Go outside. Run around barefoot in the sand. Take a hike on a local trail or better yet, book a vacation and go on an adventure. Whenever and however you can, always make time to breathe fresh air and revel in Mother Nature’s beauty.
6. Find pleasure in anything. Similar to being present, this takes it a step further. Whatever you’re doing, find the enjoyable aspects of it. Get out of bed and feel the wonderful stretch as you lift your arms above your head. Sip your coffee and really take in the warm aroma. When you learn how to find happiness in the simplest of things, you begin to realize how much there is to be grateful for.
(adapted from Zen Habits)
Share this post with someone you want to slow down with!